Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: September 2002:
[webdev] Re: State of Website

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: State of Website
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 15:13:10 -0500

Tom has never used Debian, but I've been a Debian fan since shortly after I
joined ACLUG. Package management is sooo much easier on Debian. In fact, I had a
Debian machine up for nearly 400 days having performed software updates and even
a dist upgrade in that time. I don't think you could say that about RedHat.  And
Debian is very security focused, and they make it easy to keep on top of
security patches.

> I'm sure I have a ~P166 machine I could let ACLUG use for web development.
> If you have a place to host it, and want to run Debian on it, by all means
> do so.

Right now the beta1 site is running on a P166 with 64Meg of RAM.  That probabaly
adequate for now, but if we really start getting traffic I suspect we'll need a
bit more oomph...

> I currently have a K63/450 running Debian I could give ACLUG some space on
> (but not root access).  That machine may soon be replaced by something
> faster, which could make it available soley for ACLUG.

That should be plenty machine.  Root access isn't mandatory, as PostNuke has
been designed to work in a hosted enviroment.  However limited root (sudo)
access would be helpful in getting some of the packages set up.

> If nothing else, we could ask members for hardware and/or monitary donations
> to put together a machine for ACLUG web hosting.

That's not a bad idea.  I'm sure there are a number of people around with older
hardware that would love to put it to good use rather than scrapping it.  Heck,
I've got several P200 or P233 CPU/MB's that I need to do something with.  Slow
by today's standards, but too good to trash.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx