Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: webdev: September 2002:
[webdev] Re: State of Website

To: <webdev@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [webdev] Re: State of Website
From: "Dale W Hodge" <dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 18:58:31 -0500

Quite honestly, I thought this was already setttled, though I thought it best to
offer one last chance to change our minds before we jump headlong into things.

> I would encourage the people who are doing active web development to decide
> who will make this decision.  As I believe Tom Hull is still the chairperson
> for the web group, it would make sense that it be him.  If he feels he's not
> actively involved enough at the moment to force his view on others, then I'd
> be happy for him to delegate that responsibility to Dale or Jeff or someone
> else.

Tom is the elected chair person, though his participation has been minimal as of
late due to other commitments.  I thought I was given the authority to make the
changes, and I elected to postpone those changes until I was certain we wern't
jumping into a sinking ship.

> If nobody wants to make this sort of decision, I can do it myself, as
> general chairperson of ACLUG.  I'd rather not have to make a decision on
> something I'm not directly involved with, though :)

You are the Lead chairperson of this group, and you likely have the right to
make that decision, though I'd prefer you didn't.

Since most of the day-to-day details of Aclug tend to end up in my lap, I'd
prefer to use tools that make my job easier, and PostNuke is a better fit than
the other choices we've looked at to date.

> I think we'd be best to pick something and stick with it until completion.
> Once the new site is up and running, if we want to start playing with other
> tools on a test/developmental basis, by all means we can.  But until we make
> a final decision, we'll never have a rough draft to work from anyway!

I agree.  But one of the questions I've asked repeatedly has yet to be answered:
Should we move to a faster processor with more RAM,  and should we remain with
RedHat, or can we change to Debian.  I much prefer maintaining a remote machine
running Debian.  Software and security updates are much easier to manage under
Debian.

> The lack of conversation since this original post suggests to me what I
> already suspected: That everybody is either ignorant or apathetic of the web
> tools.  If we're going to wait for a consensus, we'll be waiting forever.

A little of both, though it's only been a couple days over a weekend since I
brought this up. We didn't set a timetable for this project (probably a wrong
move), so there's no hurt in waiting a few more days.

> So... as ACLUG chairperson, I'm asking for any final discussion before I
> move and second a motion to delegate this decision to Tom or his chosen
> deligate :)

I do hope people will go to the beta websites and look at the two proposals,
then visit the software vendor's websites, and finally do a little research on
thier own before drawing any conclusions.

--dwh

---
Dale W Hodge - dwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vice Chairman & Secretary - info@xxxxxxxxx