Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Vincent Beffara <vbeffara+ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 01:53:58 -0300

On Sat, 17 May 2008, John Goerzen wrote:

> That's too bad.  I'd rather hear from you once you're actually using it!

OK, but if things work right as I expect, I doubt that I will have anything
very interesting to post.

> There is no compilation or even installation necessary.

So, I misunderstood the whole issue. I have not read in the manual that
offlineimap is a script (or a set off) and I did not know that the python
language executes scripts. Additionally, I have seen a Makefile in the source
of offlineimap 4.0.16, kind of "confirming" that a compilation is required.

> Just say "python offlineimap.py" in the top-level untarred directory and
> that's it.

I have downloaded and untared offlineimap_5.99.15.tar.gz. The version of
python on the cluster is 2.4.4, apparently fine. Then I have got:

===
$ python offlineimap.py -h

        offlineimap [ -1 ] [ -P profiledir ] [ -a accountlist ]  [
        -c configfile  ] [ -d debugtype[,debugtype...]  ] [ -o ] [
        -u interface ] [ -q ]

===

also with good aspect (except that he option '-l' is not yet there).

Now I have (at least) two versions of offlineimap to choose. For any of them,
apparently, the remaining issue is that of passwords, which needs that the
system manager solve the permission problem with screen.

Regards, Alejandro Jakubi