Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: offlineimap: May 2008:
Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail

To: Alejandro Jakubi <jakubi@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: offlineimap@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: backup and synchronize to fastmail
From: Vincent Beffara <vbeffara+ml@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:40:25 -0400

Hi,

>> I would tend to make a suggestion : just give it a try and see if it=3D=
20
>> works for you ! In case you are afraid to lose mail in the process,=3D=
20
>> there is always the possibility to use a test account ...
>
> Of course, as said in a previous message, I will first backup all my fo=
lders
> in the main folder collection to a "local" collection within the depart=
mental
> cluster. I cannot have a test account on this cluster.

Right - but you could have one on another machine. Better safe than=20
sorry ... and it's always nice to test things with no important data,=20
even if offlineimap goes to great lengths never to lose e-mail ...

> A particular problem seems to be that the version of offlineimap instal=
led in
> this cluster might behave differently to what is documented in the manu=
al.
> Indeed, the available command line options are different. And, as said =
in my
> first message to this list, I do not see which is the command line opti=
on to
> get its version.

Easy (but bad !) answer to that : run it with a non-existing=20
command-line option that does not exist, and look in the trace.

A little bit better : 'tail $(which offlineimap)', the version number is=20
the argument given to init.startup.

Even better : you are better off with the most recent version anyway=20
(the '-q' option if really cool, for instance), and version 6 is leaving=20
the factory as we speak. So your best bet might be to install it within=20
your account - given that it's plain python that's a trivial thing to=20
do, and at least you will know the version number !

(Or, you could send a patch to John implementing --version as it would=20
indeed be quite useful for debugging and such :->)

  /v

--=20
Vincent Beffara
UMPA - ENS Lyon