Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: local: February 2002:
[aclug-local] Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting

To: local@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [aclug-local] Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting
From: Tom Hull <thull@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 17:42:23 -0600

I think your bottom line is off-base; it's not really a beginner/expert
thing, it's more of a presentation/class thing. Presentations demand a
fair amount of work from the presenters, but very little preparation or
commitment from the audience. Unless you can assume an audience with a
lot of specialized knowledge (e.g., in an academic forum), you have to
find something to present that has relatively general interest and does
not have a strict prerequisite level.

It is doubtful that a detailed survey of the Linux boot sequence meets
this criterion -- not so much because of lack of interest as because of
the technical specificity of the material. A better forum for learning
about the Linux boot sequence would be a study group/class -- maybe six
two-hour meetings with homework in between and a couple of tests along
the way.

I think we need to think more carefully about what works as presentation,
and concentrate on doing that, because "my" bottom line is that meetings
have to get much better in order to hold a viable audience. At the same
time we could consider doing some real educational programs, to the
extent that there is interest and expertise available. But given that
meetings don't really suffice for education, I think the priority has
to be to figure out how to do better meetings, by accepting them for
what they are.

--
/*
 *  Tom Hull * thull at kscable.com * http://www.tomhull.com/