Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: local: February 2002:
Suggestions: Next Meeting

To: local@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Suggestions: Next Meeting
From: "James G ." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:45:53 -0600

I think that if the majority of people who attend in person want to cater
mostly to intermediates and experts, then that fact should be made clear
to everyone "before" they attend thier first ACLUG meeting. As I see it,
there are two main areas to cover when using a computing environment. They
are the "operating system" and the "applications" that run on that OS. If
we choose to concentrate on the applications only, we assume everyone
knows how to use the underlying OS. Also, if this is the case, we should
change the name of the group from "Linux Users Group" to "Open Source
Users Group". This would eliminate confusion and also welcome users of
other OS's so that they too can help participate in our discutions.

"Open Source" applications run on MANY platforms. Their use is not limited
to Linux users. If we assume that a group member should know how to use
their OS, why limit membership to only Linux users? What about FreeBSD and
Solaris people who use Apache also (not to mention MS Windows users who
use it).

Well, if this is the way the group chooses to go, then what about people
who want to learn the GNU/Linux operating system itself? We as a group can
choose to help them ourselves "or" instuct them on how to do it "for
themselves" on thier own time.
It seems to me that the latter would be the choice choosen by this group.

So... why don't we be honest to all the new wanna-be Linux users out there
and let them know what this group is "really" about. There is no reason at
all to try and hide ACLUG'S true identity from the web page and from the
public. I would like to eliminate misconceptions about what ACLUG is about.

"Open Source" software is what we are all truly in love with. Me included.

James Galimi