Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: local: February 2002:
Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting

To: local@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting
From: "James G ." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 19:40:49 -0600

I am not saying we need to be kernel experts. I am not and never will be a
kernel expert. In fact, I've only compiled the kernel twice and am not a
programmer (but have taught myself Python last month and read a book on C
last year).
We do need however to be "GNU/Linux" proficient. That does NOT imply
"kernel expert".

The root user of a Linux PC needs to be part system administrator. A
non-root user does not. I am drawing the line between these two types of
users. "ROOT / NON-ROOT".
A non-root person does not install programs.  In fact, a non-root person
does not have to know what "unix" is. ACLUG can choose to cater to one or
both. I choose both. That is it.

James