Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: local: February 2002:
Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting

To: local@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Suggestions: Next Meeting
From: "James G ." <jamesga@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 17:27:07 -0600

It sounds like you didn't catch what I meant in my last email.

ACLUG seems to be oriented towards people past the beginner stage.
ACLUG people want to know what they can use GNU/Linux for instead of
knowing how to use GNU/Linux itself.
Linux itself is after all just a 16MB kernel and associated modules, no
more, no less. Thats why I suggested ACLUG be called an "Open Source Users
Group" so as not to miss lead people into believing it is just about the
Linux kernel (and the GNU-command line). Gnome and KDE are both used in
other operating systems. Python, Perl, Apache, Zope, MySql, NFS, PHP,
StarOffice, Java, Sendmail are all used under other OS's besides
GNU/Linux. In fact, ls, df, du, ps, cp, rm, mkdir, grep, tar are all used
by other Unix's. The only thing that makes Linux unique is Linux itself
(the kernel).

But if only applications are covered (NOT GNU-command line OS stuff), we
assume that people are already familar with the OS of thier choice.
However, doing this leaves out people "new to GNU/Linux". "This" is the
problem. We could continue this way, but if we do... make sure people
understand this (not to say that this is a bad thing).

I personally would prefere covering "both" GNU/Linux "and" the
applications that run on it. This is what I see the argument is 100%
about. NO MORE complicated then that. But, I see covering "both" will not
happen as to not ward off the experts. Right? I think you are
mis-representing me. If I am wrong about this... please state the real
problem using just a few sentances as to limit mis-understandings.

Also... you stated some applications only run under "Linux". Which apps
are these?
Doesn't Solaris support "Linux" applications?

We are spliting hairs... but.. we should be truthful about what ACLUG is
really about (whatever that is).

James Galimi