Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:27:47 -0500

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 05:32:18PM -0500, Jonathan Hall wrote:
> What you described sounds far cooler... and I'm 99% sure is not what I've
> had experience with in the past.
>
> The Roxio DirectCD's I've seen when I was at Raytheon were actually
> proprietary enough... that they first created a single standard ISO9660
> filesystem on the first track of the disc.  It contained an autorun file and
> a .exe to install the drivers needed to read the rest of the disk.  Then the

Ouch.  That is definately different and really stinks big-time.  That is
unimaginably nasty.

Packet writing is not that, for sure.

I hope that Roxio et al. have upgraded to support packet writing instead of
that proprietary stuff by now.

> WinXP, which didn't support that software, all of their old data CDs were
> unreadable and they threw big fits.

Somehow I sense where your loathing for CD burner users is coming from now :-)