Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Burning music CD's
From: "Jonathan Hall" <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:32:18 -0500

> There is _some_ software (for Windows, and probably Mac.. never seen any
for
> *nix) that _emulates_ a R/W disk with a CD-RW or CD-R.  But it does it
with
> proprietary drivers that don't use a standard ISO-9660 filesystem at all.

> That is mostly incorrect.

<snip>

> What it does, in essence, is, the first time you write data to the disk,
it
> will write a track of data, leaving the session open (to be added to
later).
> When you are ready to add more data (or change the existing data), it
writes
> a new track after the first one, reflecting the changes you've made.  It
> will continue to do this until the disk is full.

> This isn't how packet writing works.  To set up a packet writing device in

<snip>

What I'm familiar with then probably is not packet writing.  I've seen at
least two implimentations of what I described... one by iOmega and one by
Roxio (they may be the same product relabled... dunno).  And they're both
pretty gross.

What you described sounds far cooler... and I'm 99% sure is not what I've
had experience with in the past.

The Roxio DirectCD's I've seen when I was at Raytheon were actually
proprietary enough... that they first created a single standard ISO9660
filesystem on the first track of the disc.  It contained an autorun file and
a .exe to install the drivers needed to read the rest of the disk.  Then the
rest of the disk was, as best I could tell, a proprietary format that used a
process similar to what I described in the previous e-mail.  As a result,
when the people there upgraded from their Win95 machines using DirectCD to
WinXP, which didn't support that software, all of their old data CDs were
unreadable and they threw big fits.

> Well, a CD-RW is not ROM :-)

It is in the same way that EPROM is ROM :)

It's ROM that can be erased and then rewritten.