Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Bad Memory Was: Bad Swap caused my new video card?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Bad Memory Was: Bad Swap caused my new video card?
From: Cheez-Czar <cabrubak@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:01:36 -0600 (CST)

On 28 Jan 2003, Jonathan Hall wrote:

> Since he's using memtest86 when he gets the errors, and memtest86
> doesn't use X Windows, then the answer is obviously yes--the errors DO
> occur when not using X.

it happened last night, X was crashed and logging caused more kernel
errors. Also yesterday afternoon, the hard drive started clicking, and ls
would hang. I unmounted the hard drive and set it horizintal , and
that seemed to fix that, I doubt that would be caused by the video card,
but maybe something I did when trying to get the <explitive deleted> case
apart.

> My suggestions, in no particular order:
>
> Run memtest86 with the old video card in place.

There were to setting I changed when I dissables the onboard video: I xset
the VGA setting jumper (VEN_DIS) to disable, and the VGA interrupt
selection to disable, which from the mother board discriptions the second
should disable the "chipsets internal interrupt routing", I assume only
for the onboard video only.

> Run memtest86 with another video card in place (get a cheap/free one if
> you can)
> Test the RAM in another machine.
> Test the Voodoo 3 in another machine.
> Try RAM from another machine in that box.
> Check your BIOS settings.  Perhaps you can tweak your RAM and/or PCI
> timings.
>
> Other questions:  What motherboard are you using?  What chipset does it
> use?  What CPU and RAM configuration?

I am using a ASUS PSS-VN  with a K6-2 550 , i AM USING TO 128mb crucial
brand dimms.

--
Clint