Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: January 2003:
[linux-help] Re: Bad Memory Was: Bad Swap caused my new video card?

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Bad Memory Was: Bad Swap caused my new video card?
From: Jonathan Hall <flimzy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Jan 2003 22:13:07 -0600

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 15:44, Noah Romer wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:48, Cheez-Czar wrote:
> > I ran Memtest86 with the sytsem in its current configuration, I got about
> > 200 error on the 50-70 ranges, and over 30,000 at 256.0-8 before it ended
> > with an "Unexcpected Interup".
> >

> > So would adding a video card make a change like that or did I break
> > something when I did?
>
> It's remotely possible that DMA memory is being used incorrectly by the
> driver for the card (or the card is DMA'ing to the wrong location). I've
> never done video drivers, but I have seen similar behavior while
> writing/debugging network drivers and preproduction firmware (though, to
> be honest, it was more often my fault, w/ the drivers, than the firmware
> guy's fault).
>
> > I just reseated the ram, and I'm running it again to be sure.
> >
> > Any good suggestions?
>
> Do the memory errors occur while not running X-Windows?

Since he's using memtest86 when he gets the errors, and memtest86
doesn't use X Windows, then the answer is obviously yes--the errors DO
occur when not using X.

My suggestions, in no particular order:

Run memtest86 with the old video card in place.
Run memtest86 with another video card in place (get a cheap/free one if
you can)
Test the RAM in another machine.
Test the Voodoo 3 in another machine.
Try RAM from another machine in that box.
Check your BIOS settings.  Perhaps you can tweak your RAM and/or PCI
timings.

Other questions:  What motherboard are you using?  What chipset does it
use?  What CPU and RAM configuration?

-- Jonathan