Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: October 2002:
[linux-help] Re: RedHat 8.0

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: RedHat 8.0
From: Michael Moore <mrmoore@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 00:14:48 -0500

Anne McCadden wrote:

>I installed RedHat 8.0 on one of the non-essential computers and I am
>glad.  I feel like a beta tester again.  8.0 was installed as an
>upgrade, but it won't launch any programs.  I was able to change the
>background and screensaver, but not get on the internet.  Version 7.3
>worked great.  It sounds like a time to wipe and reload the OS.  I
>should have listened to my own advice -- if it isn't broken, then don't
>fix it!  I am sooooo disappointed with RedHat 8.0  ~Anne

>visit http://www.complete.org/cgi-bin/listargate-aclug.cgi

I've decided to hold off on 8.0.  When the mirror sites traffic slow
down I will download the ISO's and put it on one of my computers.  I am
interested in seeing how RH's bluecurve works.  But, I probably won't be
pleased because I use KDE alot.
Also, I was disappointed to read that MP3 coding doesn't come with XMMS
anymore, RH has decided to drop it.  Although, you can fix that yourself.
Also, I download Mandrake's 9.0, just haven't had a chance to try it out.

FYI, I was having trouble with xcdroast not starting from the menu.
 Turns out it was a bug in the 7.3 release.  I edited
/etc/security/console.apps/xcdroast and set SESSION=true to make it work
from the menus.

Get rid of your dual boot system and try one with 37 OSes.
http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2002-09-24.html