Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Linux has errors on setup

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux has errors on setup
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:44:19 -0500

I still believe Jami's problem may be with the brain-dead disk druid or
the auto-partitioning.
They are both brain-dead and that is why I use fdisk.

I had similar problems and his description of the fact that it seemed to
create  7 partitions but he did not know what they were or why they were
all there fits that theory.
On a drive that size he really only needs 3 partitions --- /, swap, and
/home.

According to his original description, it would not boot after
completing the install. It hung with a blank screen implying unable to
load the kernel.

Another thing Jami needs to be aware of is that $windows CANNOT access a
Linux partition, although the reverse works flawlessly.  He said the
drive had partitions created from c to i, implying he tried to read it
in windows. The partitions can be seen (as long as there is only one
primary partition) but cannot be accessed from windows.