Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: September 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Linux has errors on setup

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Linux has errors on setup
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:55:32 -0500

Anne McCadden wrote:

>Let me know where the trash can is that you will be throwing the hard
>drive into.  I could put it to good use and running RedHat 7.3 too.
>
>I have had intermitten problems with installing RedHat on larger hard
>drives (>40gb) and I am not sure as to why.  I have almost the same
>hardware that you have, but I am not doing a dual boot system.  I have
>reinstalled and have been able to get it straightened out.  Some of the
>techs at work have been running into simular problems.  We installed
>RedHat on a combo mobo and XWindows wouldn't load.   After the techs
>reinstalled a couple of times, they finally decided to choose another
>video chipset than RedHat 7.3 was saying that it was and it worked, they
>were able to launch Xwindows.

That sounds like the video drivers, not the OS.

It sometimes happens that a card is not correctly recognized, especially
when a card is new and the drivers have not been updated yet. Or when
the video is on the mobo, because drivers often are not specifically
tailored for the chipset on the mobo due to the lower demand for that
type setup.

Was the video card on the mobo or a PCI/AGP plug in card? And what type
card was it?