Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 22:55:54 -0500

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 00:30, you wrote:
> Bruce -
>
> ".....  My next move is to try to find out how to get to the Compaq bios
> ....."
>
> I hate to tell you this but on most Compaq machines you need to have a BIOS
> BOOT disk since it seems that you have formatted over the BIOS BOOT SECTOR
> of your systems harddrive when you installed Linux. Other wise it should be
> 'F-10' key.

Not the newer Compaq machines. I've worked with a bunch of the DeskPro ENs at
work and they don't have anything like that. They have Intel i810 based
motherboards (or 815, for the newer models) and use a standard BIOS
arrangement.

It can't hurt to check the bios to see if it can detect the drive, but I
thought Linux bypassed the bios for IDE access? If I'm correct on this, the
bios wouldn't make much difference.

Your dmesg output seems to indicate that the kernel is seeing your drive, but
that the specific driver for it isn't being loaded. /proc/ide/hdc/driver on
my system (Mandrake 8.1) says:

ide-cdrom version 4.59

You said your's was empty. That tells me the driver isn't loaded.  I'd think
you'd want to try and figure out why the system isn't loading the driver. I
don't see a module for that driver on my system, so I presume that Mandrake
built it into the kernel. Don't have a Red Hat system handy to check this on,
but you might check for that.

Greg