Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom
From: Jeff Vian <jvian10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 01:05:57 -0500

bruce wrote:
> I installed RH7.2 on a rather minimal system (P133, 32MB memory, 1.2GBdisk)
> and the install went pretty well and the cdrom worked perfectly during the
> install. but when I booted up, I couldn't mount the cdrom.
>
> [root@bertha]# mount  /mnt/cdrom
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

make sure the module ide-cd is loaded
I have the same problem when I let the cdrom be configured by ide-scsi
as it is when a cd-rw device is installed. In that case /dev/cdrom
should point to /dev/scd? (0 or 1 depending wheter it is master or slave)
If you have a cdr or cdrw installed this may be the problem.

> /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc and /hdc is not listed in /proc/partitions.
> /etc/fstab looks normal.
>
> [root@bertha]# cat  /etc/fstab
> ....(other stuff) ....
> /dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom        iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>
> [bruce@bertha]$ ls /dev/cdrom -l
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jan 10 13:26 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>
> hdc not being listed in /proc/partitions may be the root of my problem, but
> can it be fixed?

Is the cdrom the master on the secondary ide controller?
   hda/hdb -- master/slave on primary controller
   hdc/hdd -- master/slave on secondary controller

I usually use the cd as slave even if a master is not present because
sometimes the cd as master has problems. And a cd cannot be master to a
hard drive as slave.

Try switching it and let kudzu remove the old definition and add the new
one then see if it will mount.