Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom
From: David Carmichael <dec2955@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:08:33 -0500

The only other thing that I could suggest if you are sure that it is your
systems BIOS is to get an IDE card for the computer and turn off the onboard
IDE... I don't know what local pricing for these are [hey the Saturday Sale
is coming up..] but an online dealer that I have good luck with over the
past few years is "Computer Geeks" and they sell one or two different RAID
IDE controllers that will also work as stand alone IDE controllers.. at
least one of them that I purchased even saw my age old NEC 4X4 CD-Rom drives
and works like a charm since it has its own BIOS that comes up when the PCI
bus is scanned before the OS's is run.. I am unsure how LINUX will work with
these.. but there might be drivers for it.

http://www.compgeeks.com

DMA IDE133 controller page:
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PCIATA133-NB

--David