Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: July 2002:
[linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Can't mount cdrom
From: bruce <bbales@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 07:47:02 -0500

On Sunday 07 July 2002 01:05 am, you wrote:

>try:

>     mount -t  iso9660  /dev/hd? /mnt/cdrom

no luck with /hdb, /hdc, or /hdd.  Always /dev/hd? is not a valid block
device.

> make sure the module ide-cd is loaded
> I have the same problem when I let the cdrom be configured by ide-scsi
> as it is when a cd-rw device is installed. In that case /dev/cdrom
> should point to /dev/scd? (0 or 1 depending wheter it is master or slave)
> If you have a cdr or cdrw installed this may be the problem.

lsmod doesn't list ide-cd and insmod ide-cd comes up with a bunch of
unresolved symbols.

> Try switching it and let kudzu remove the old definition and add the new
> one then see if it will mount.

Moved it to /dev/hdd and the machine paused a long time at "looking for new
hardware," then went on.  Tried /usr/sbin/kudzu - long pause, then back to
the prompt.  I guess 1.2Gb is not enough for a decent RH7.2.

I'll try adding another small hard drive and do another install.
Thanks, guys,
bruce