Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Single User Boot

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Single User Boot
From: John M.Resler <jmresler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 08:48:42 -0500

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> As I recall, even single-user mode asks for a root password.

It hasn't when I have booted into single.

> I suppose if nothing else, you could specify /bin/bash as the init process,
> which obviously would not ask for a password.

btw at lilo
linux single works just fine.
after you have set the password, or deleted it, you can type init 3 (text) or
init 5 (graphical) to use it as normal.

James L

FWIW,
        Mandrake uses linux 1 as a boot for single user mode and it disregards
any default file reads such as .bash_profile , etc. and takes you straight to a
sh$ prompt. No root login  but you are assumed to be the root user, and after
much thought (for my tiny brain) it makes sense because, if you have access to
the (Uggghh, that's a Microsoft Word.) startup capabilities of the machine then
it would be reasonable to assume you are the root user. I know, that's weak
logic but hey, it's , mine.

-JR

   --
"You mean, if you allow the master to be uncivil, to treat you
any old way he likes, and to insult your dignity, then he may deem you