Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Debian 2.2 from non-bootable CD-ROM

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Debian 2.2 from non-bootable CD-ROM
From: Thomas Wallis <wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:57:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, james l wrote:

> OK, this is probably something covered in the doc/ dir, and I missed
> it., but is there a way to install Debian (without lots of floppys) from
> a CD-ROM that is not bootable?

        Debian 2.2 comes with 5 floppy images on the first CD (I think)
(rescue, root, and drivers 1,2, and 3).  These can be used to boot the
machine, even if the CD is not bootable.  You can use the booted machine
to mount the CDROM, or install via http or ftp.   I often use these 5
floppies to set up machines around here.  Load the floppies, partition the
hard drive, activate the network card, configure TCP/IP, select software,
download and install.

                        Tom W.

 > > James L

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of WSU.

EMAIL address:  wallis@xxxxxxxxxxx    wallis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx