Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: August 2000:
[linux-help] Re: Ethernet driver

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: Ethernet driver
From: Jonathan Hall <jonhall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 02:05:33 -0500

All "drivers" are part of the kernel.  And unless you just have a really old
kernel, you should probably start just by compiling the kernel with the
default tulp driver.  In menuconfig:

Network Device support
  Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
    EISA, VLB, PCI and on board controllers
      DECchip Tulip (Dc21x4x) PCI support

Make sure you're running a modern kernel (i.e. 2.2.12 or newer, probably) to
make sure you have the latest support for the tulip clones.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 01:10:34AM -0500, Bruce Bales wrote:
> I have a Netgear FA310TX PCI NIC, which came with a floppy containing a tulip
> driver for Linux.  The last paragraph of the driver has a compile command.
> The
> driver is a later version than the one in Mandrake 7.1 (which does not work
> with
> this card).
>
> When I issue the command, I get 50 to 100 screens of messages.  The last page
> has
> warnings, incomplete types, storage size unknown, and other such nonsense.
> Don't
> know what the first pages have on them.  It doesn't make a tulip.o.
>
> I downloaded a later tulip.c from Don Becker's Skyld page, used the compile
> command
> contained therein, and got the same result.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  Am I supposed to put the tulip.c in a special place
> before
> compiling?

Floppy disk tip #1: Never leave diskettes in the drive, as the data can leak
out of the disk and corrode the inner mechanics of the drive.  Diskettes
should be rolled up and stored in pencil holders.