Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 20:27:55 -0500

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000, you wrote:

> > I'd probably unload it (rmmod) and reload it by hand (insmod) and look at
> > the
> > messages. That might give you a clue about what's going on. I've heard there
> > are sometimes boot parameters required for multiple ethernet adapters. I've
> > never had to do that, but check in the ethernet HOWTO for directions on
> > that.
>
> It wasn't there.  Tried insmod tulip and message said wrong version.
> Recopied the
> original version and it loads on boot, but still fails initialization.

If it says wrong version, and it's one you built, it sounds like you didn't
build the kernel you're using. Might be worth your while to do one. You can
trim out some fat in the process, things you don't use, etc.

What were the messages when the original module failed initialization?

Is it possible that you have an IRQ conflict or something like that preventing
yoru hardware from actually working? Things like that can confuse the software
issue you may thing you're having.

> ne2000.o  (for
> the isa ethernet board) is not listed in the modules - I guess the isa driver
> must be
> in the kernel.

The module for an NE2000 is called "ne.o" (ISA) or "ne2k-pci.o" (PCI).

>Anyway, there is a little bit of progress.  I'll check the ethernet
> HOWTO again.

Progress is always nice. Hang in there.

Greg