Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Jeff <schaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:05:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> > Tcl is wanting to create a Tk screen of some sort, and
> > Tk wants an X environment.  Startx then run netcfg, or
> > run ifconfig manually :)
> >

> ifconfig only gives me information on lo. However:  I started
> X and ran netcfg in a terminal emulation.  eth0 and eth1 were
> both inactive.  Activated both and now ifconfig shows eth0
> information in addition to lo iformation.  eth1 has gone back
> to inactive.

> There should be be a way to do the netcfg job without using
> X???

Well, running "ifconfig" without any parameters gives you current
info like that. You can run ifconfig with parameters to set
information on your NICs. Take a look at the source to netcfg and
you'll probably see that's what it's doing in the end.

-jeff
--
The Dow and Nasdaq have been extremely volatile of late, plunging one minute
and soaring the next. What do you think? "As an economist, I'll try my best