Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 14:31:41 -0500

Jeff wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Bruce Bales wrote:
>
> > No, not running in X.  Running as root in a terminal.
>
> Well that was easy :)
> Tcl is wanting to create a Tk screen of some sort, and
> Tk wants an X environment.  Startx then run netcfg, or
> run ifconfig manually :)

ifconfig only gives me information on lo.
However:  I started X and ran netcfg in a terminal emulation.  eth0 and
eth1 were both inactive.  Activated both and now ifconfig shows eth0
information in addition to lo iformation.  eth1 has gone back to
inactive.

I think the reason eth1 is not being recognized may be that it is a DEC
21040 PCI card and needs a different driver than ne.  (In other words,
it may not be an NE2000 compatible card.)  I have the source driver -
maybe I can get it compiled and put into the right place.

There should be be a way to do the netcfg job without using X???

Thanks a million.
bruce