Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 22:02:49 -0500

On Sat, 03 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Greg House wrote:
>
> > > I think the reason eth1 is not being recognized may be that it is a DEC
> > > 21040 PCI card and needs a different driver than ne.
> >
> > The driver for that one is called "tulip".
> >
> > Greg
>
> The disk that came with the board has a tulip driver.  I compiled it and
> replaced
> the mandrake tulip.o with the new one.  Used netconf to put "tulip" in for the
> kernel module in place of the previous "ne".  Initialization still fails on
> boot
> up.
>
> I've screwed with it so much that now eth0 also fails initialization on boot
> up.
> ifconfig eth0 up (or ifconfig eth1 up) gives unknown interface - no such
> device.
> Getting real discouraged.

I understand the feeling. I've been fighting with a weird problem with getting
devices configured on a fibrechannel connection with something I'm doing at
work.

I haven't followed your entire thread, but here are some ideas. The message
sounds like there's no support in the kernel for the hardware. Did you build the
tulip driver as a module or built into the kernel? If it's a module, I'd check
and see if it's getting loaded (use lsmod). If it's there, check it's messages
(/var/log/messages or the output from dmesg).

I'd probably unload it (rmmod) and reload it by hand (insmod) and look at the
messages. That might give you a clue about what's going on. I've heard there
are sometimes boot parameters required for multiple ethernet adapters. I've
never had to do that, but check in the ethernet HOWTO for directions on that.

Hope you get it. Here's a story that might encourage you. I've fought with a
laptop I inherited, trying to get XFree86 running on it, since last fall. I
finally figured out the problem last weekend. Now it's running like a champ!
It's gonna be really nice having a portable system I can do graphical things on
(even if it's a little underpowered). So keep at it, and hopefully it won't
take you as long as that!

Greg