Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Greg House <ghouse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 19:02:11 -0500

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000, you wrote:

> ifconfig only gives me information on lo.

Right... It's not a menu driven thing, it's a command line utility. Without
other parameters, it just presents your current configuration. Add other
parameters and it'll configure something. However, if you're running RedHat (or
one of it's derivatives), you probably want to use netconfig/linuxconf, since
it'll sometimes undo things you do with the normal config files and commands.

> I think the reason eth1 is not being recognized may be that it is a DEC
> 21040 PCI card and needs a different driver than ne.

The driver for that one is called "tulip".

Greg