Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: linux-help: June 2000:
[linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out

To: linux-help@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [linux-help] Re: netcfg errors out
From: Bruce Bales <bbales@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 21:42:18 -0500

Greg House wrote:

> > I think the reason eth1 is not being recognized may be that it is a DEC
> > 21040 PCI card and needs a different driver than ne.
>
> The driver for that one is called "tulip".
>
> Greg

The disk that came with the board has a tulip driver.  I compiled it and
replaced
the mandrake tulip.o with the new one.  Used netconf to put "tulip" in for the
kernel module in place of the previous "ne".  Initialization still fails on boot
up.

I've screwed with it so much that now eth0 also fails initialization on boot up.
ifconfig eth0 up (or ifconfig eth1 up) gives unknown interface - no such device.
Getting real discouraged.
bruce