[gopher] Re: basic newb info

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: basic newb info
From: Rich Roberts <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 23:05:33 +0100

On 16 Aug 2005, at 21:07, Tom Copley wrote:

>> a gopher server ( gopher.multijoy.com, not
>> much content as yet, but at least it's there))
>>

> Rich,
>
> I took a quick look at your gopher tree and there is a lot of good
> info
> there that can become part of any wiki on gopher.  I saw the U of Minn
> mother gopher there too.  It breaks my heart to see this link dead,
> but,
> ah, such is life, eh?

Heh, most of it's straight from the default gophermap, I still need
to tidy it up!

>> It all seems so much cleaner, to my mind. Might be worth pushing the
>> accessibility point? screen readers love it,
>> text is easily magnified/contrasted etc.
>>

> Can you elaborate on these points a little, please?

Well, it's an ordered, text based interface, so screen readers will
find it easier to parse then a cluttered web page, even when viewed
through lynx.
As to contrast, and magnification, a text only interface copes much
more gracefully with this sort of shennanigans than a page full of flash

Thinking about it, does anyone know if the University of Portsmouth
maintained a gopher server back in the day? I work for them, so I may
drop the informatics chaps a line and see if they've got backups, and
try and resurrect it.

It's 2am. Do you know who's reading your email?
Public key:
http://jesusstolemymoped.com/users.php?mode=profile&uid=4
Fingerprint:
97E1 1EBD 7E63 18CC A8B3  2742 FAFA 61B1 D718 052A