[gopher] Re: basic newb info

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: basic newb info
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:18:01 -0500

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 12:51:18AM -0500, sovietassassin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> i would like as much information on as many options avalible to
> running a gopher server, like example server readable files, embedded

You might take a look at the sample config file and docs for
Pygopherd and Bucktooth.

Pygopherd can grok server files in several different formats --
primarily those originating with UMN gopherd and bucktooth.  UMN
gopherd files normally look like this:

Path=./file.txt
Name=Some Description
Type=1
Host=+
Port=+

This will add an explicit description and type for the file named
file.txt.

You can also add links to other Gopher servers like this:

Path=/
Name=Quux.Org
Type=0
Host=quux.org
Port=+

Or to Web servers:

Path=URL:http://www.complete.org/
Name=Complete.Org
Type=h
Host=+
Port=+

You can create a file named file.abstract that includes an extended
description of a file.  A file named .abstract in a directory will be
displayed at the top of the directory listing.

PyGopherd can also serve up mbox or maildir mailboxes as directories,
with each "file" being a mail message.  Additionally, you can ZIP up
your site (or part of it) and serve up content directly from the ZIP
file.

See the "handler" options.

> options, how things are supposed to work, how to give out/post gopher
> urls -- anything and everything will be put to some kind of use. i

Gopher URLs look like:

gopher://host:port/TYPEurl

So, the Reference page on Quux.org would be:

gopher://quux.org/0/Reference

> just want to learn as much as i can on how it works, why, and how to
> best impliment it. currently ive got a basic gopherd up and running, i
> want to maximize its potential! :)

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you need other info.

-- John

--
John Goerzen
Author, Foundations of Python Network Programming