[gopher] Re: basic newb info

To: "Rich Roberts" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: basic newb info
From: "Tom Copley" <tcopley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:35:17 -0700 (PDT)

> a gopher server ( gopher.multijoy.com, not
> much content as yet, but at least it's there))

Rich,

I took a quick look at your gopher tree and there is a lot of good info
that can become part of any wiki on gopher.  I saw the U of Minn mother
gopher there too.  It breaks my heart to see this link dead, but, ah, such
is life, eh?

        "The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
        Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
        Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
        Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it."

        Omar Khayyam
        http://www.theennead.com/herschberg/docs/rubaiyat.htm

> It all seems so much cleaner, to my mind. Might be worth pushing the
> accessibility point? screen readers love it,
> text is easily magnified/contrasted etc.

Can you elaborate on these points a little, please?

> I'm all for a one-stop resource. If you need a hand (proofing,
> editing, whatever), let me know.

Thank you for this offer.  I definitely could use a hand.  A couple of
years ago my son who actually maintained the files for the gopher course
suffered a hard drive crash with no backups.  Fortunately, I have hard
copy out in my garage, so I'm going to dig up those moldering pages and
start typing them in.  I'll send them to you as I have them.

In the meantime, I'm going to set up a media wiki for this purpose.  I
found a Dutch guy who will host a wiki for us for under 100 Euros per
year.

What we need now is a logo for the gopherspace wiki.  I am a terrible
artist.  Any ideas? Do you know someone who can create a realistic furry
varmint?

BTW how does the domain name gopherpedia.org sound?  If that sounds too
blah to some ears, then any suggestions will be most welcome.

Thanks again.

Tom

--
Tom Copley