[gopher] Re: basic newb info

To: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: basic newb info
From: Alessandro Selli <dhatarattha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:02:25 +0200

Rich Roberts wrote:

> Everyone loves teh sekrit projects ;)

  Yep!

> Is there an authentication layer in the gopher protocol?

  I'm almost sure there is not.  But, if necessary, telnet-ssl could
be used for the gwiki.  What did you have in mind when you asked about
authentication in gopher?  It must be easy to tunnel it with Stunnel.

> And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most wiki's flat file based
> rather than
> db driven?
>
> If we used the former, surely some clever beggar (not me, cause i
> baint no good
>   at this coding lark) could either...
>
> Find/ write a script that would turn each flat file into a gopher
> parseable page, and runs each time something is modified...
> Do something else (there were no two options after all. damn kids.
> stole my coffee. )

  Yes, I bet this is what most people are thinking of.  Either telnet
-> form-fill script -> parser to feed the form data into the gwiki,
and/or email -> email parser (procmail) -> feed the email data into the
gwiki.

  I'm still to investigate about "moles", maybe these could be used as
well.  Where did I read about them?  I cannot find any reference in the
documents I found in gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/gopher/tech,
including ask.tar.Z.
  Darn, let's use Veronica2!  Here it is:

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/buck/dbrowse?faquse%202

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/buck/dbrowse?glossary%20mole
mole
----

A Bucktooth executable. Moles are like webserver CGIs in that you can
use them to create dynamic content. However, unlike CGIs, moles can
masquerade as part of the server and create entirely virtual directory
trees and files -- only the server knows the difference. In fact, this
glossary definition is a virtual document served by a mole, and doesn't
actually exist as a real file.

.

  Well, what about a mole-driven Wiki, how does that sound like?

--
Alessandro Selli
Tel: 340.839.73.05