[gopher] Re: basic newb info

To: "John Goerzen" <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxx, rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gopher] Re: basic newb info
From: "Tom Copley" <tcopley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:53:08 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 , "John Goerzen" <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Do you mean a specific wiki program?  I could probably host such a thing
> on my server, for free.  (I already pay for its hosting and have ample
> bw and disk space).  I've also thought of playing with TikiWiki
> recently.  It seems very nice.

John,

I don't know much about TikiWiki, but I suppose any wiki program will work
just fine.  The one I wanted to use is Media Wiki

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

It is PHP/MySQL based, and is the same one used by Wikipedia.  I have been
told that it is the most full-featured wiki program out there, although
somewhat more complex to use than some.  My son who is a programmer set up
a media wiki about a year ago, and he indicates that it took him about 2
hours of his time to configure it.

>> What we need now is a logo for the gopherspace wiki.  I am a terrible
>> artist.  Any ideas? Do you know someone who can create a realistic furry
>> varmint?
>
> I seem to remember there being logos around for gopher somewhere
> already, but I can't remember where.

I just remembered that a friend of mine designed a gopher logo for me
several years ago that was never used for anything.  Please see how you
like this rendition of the varmint:

http://www.sonic.net/~tcopley/gopher.jpg

I am willing to donate it to the cause.  BTW the artists name is Adam
Capell <adam@xxxxxxxxxx>.

>> BTW how does the domain name gopherpedia.org sound?  If that sounds too
>> blah to some ears, then any suggestions will be most welcome.
>
> Sounds fine to me.

okay, maybe I'd better register gopherpedia.org up before someone else
grabs this awesome handle. ;-)

Tom

--
Tom Copley