Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: October 2002:
[Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox

To: John Wheeler <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: How to solve ICS - Resolve Smallpox
From: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 03:59:01 -0700

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:44:07PM -0700, John Wheeler wrote:

> This discussion on ICS got me to start playing freeciv
> again, especially after reading "The Art of Freeciv" [
> http://www.freeciv.org/tutorials/art_of_freeciv.html
> ].  With the addition of setting specials to 0 to the
> settings suggested there, I'm finally enjoying playing
> freefall (although I do save at the beginning and
> replay particularly interesting games).
>
> My point is, whatever is done to "solve" the problem
> of ICS, should be configurable.  (I put "solve" in
> quotes because it seems to me that the fact that a mad
> dash to The Republic is the only viable solution with
> those settings is just as much a problem as building
> as many cities as soon as possible.)
>
> In particular, I like the idea of having fields in the
> unit list for

> shield cost, gold cost

The curent ruleset supports this.

> , and improvement required to build

This is IMHO a bit useless. If we assume that you don't have to build
a building for settlers than these buildings should limit the set of
cities which build military units. But two facts are here against this:
 - you can produce a military unit in city and change the homecity
   afterwards
 - you don't use all of your cities to produce military units

So you end up with 10% of your cities building that building and
producing military units.

It is however a different story if you require a certain building to
support a given unit type.

> with the default being 0 and None
> for the last two.  (Or perhaps a civ3 style option
> could be added, and then the gold cost would be used
> instead of the shield cost.)

> Heck, even "freecitycenter" could be an option that could be set to
> 0 or 1.

It would be interesting to see how much code changes are required for
this.

> I also in theory like the Production
> Factor idea, but I think for that to work well, all
> values for trade, gold, science, shields, etc., would
> probably have to be multiplied by 10, or the effect
> would have huge jumps.
>
> Just realize that every change makes for a slightly
> different game, and allow people to play the kind of
> game they want.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx