Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay

To: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 01:10:53 +1000

Steve Hodge wrote:

One last reference, since we've been talking about AD&D a fair bit in
this discussion:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/DnD_DoD_005.asp
It's an article from a guy at Wizard of the Coast talking about D20 -
their plan for an "open source" game system based on AD&D. I quote:

"Patents are great. They can lock a game mechanic away behind a legal
wall very effectively. Trademarks are great. They can stop a lot of
commercial products dead by refusing to allow those terms to be used.
Copyrights -- eh; not so good. Copyrights cannot protect an idea -- just
a particular expression of an idea."

This guy, in the industry, dealing with patent, trademark, and copyright
issues in his work, presumably with support of his companies legal
department states exactly what we've said - game mechanics (rules) can
be patented but not copyrighted.

Oh, and by the way, guess who owns Wizards of the Coast? Yes, it's
Hasbro.

Regards,
Steve Hodge