Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay

Cc: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay
From: Steve Hodge <shodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 00:55:51 +1000

Brandon Van Every wrote:
> The problem is this all depends on your own personal layman's
> interpretation of "idea."

No, it's based on a review of the evidence available on the Net. You
show me a case to support your view then fine, otherwise I can only go
on what the law says (and it says nothing conclusive) and the commentary
of others on that law. Basically until someone comes up with a precedent
there is no way of knowing for sure.
Still, here's another reference for you:
http://www.copyright.org.au/PDF/InfoSheets/G016-9805.pdf
Unfortunately it's based on Australian law (which is essentially the
same), but it favours my interpretation over yours.

> Whereas I know that the board game industry
> certainly copyrights their products for some reason, and I doubt it's
> just for trademark dress.

They copyright the product - the artwork, the text of the rules, the
packaging. That prevents you from producing an exact copy of the game.

> I seriously doubt you could lift the rules
> for AD&D or Advanced Squad Leader, call them your own, and not get sued
> for it.

If you quote them verbatim, even in part, you could get sued for
copyright infringement. If you use terms they have trademarked (possibly
including terms like hit-points, dungeon master, and THAC0 - see
http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/index.html) you could get sued. If
you restate the rules in your own words the law would appear to be on
your side. That doesn't mean you'll win.

> Nor could you lift their combat tables, which is comparable to
> lifting Civ II's tech trees.  But again, I'll just ask in
> misc.legal.computing.

Tables are difficult - verbatim copying may or may not be alright
depending on the context, quantity, and use of the material -
determining that is what lawyers are for. You could certainly provide a
formula that duplicates the tables contents safely. Civ's tech tree is
more problematic - it's not been copied verbatim from any part of the
game.

> > Hopefully I have managed to convince a few people to give this issue a
> > rest now?
>
> I can't rest until misc.legal.computing has said something intelligent
> on the matter.  Sorry.

If you take the word of someone in a news group as legal advice you are
a fool. If you take my word as legal advice you are also a fool. As am I
if I take your word. The only person you should take legal advice from
is a lawyer you have paid for the purpose.
Needless to say you've brought up the issue and sparked discussion.
That's good. Persisting in arguing about it when it's clear that
no-one's going to change their positions is not good.

Regards,
Steve Hodge