Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay
From: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 12:49:08 +0200 (MET DST)

Warning: next letter would to private. I dont want to junk other people's
mailboxes.

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
[cut]
> > What are ,,verbatim copies''? Home video? If i made home video to show
> my
> > family such a smart guy I am i get sued?
>
> Unauthorized taping of a performance will most certainly get you sued,
> if someone catches you and feels like doing it.  It's certainly within
> the playwright and production company's legal right to do so.  They have
> the right of distribution of the performance in various media, not you.

Just like i said, lawyers should be shoot

> > What about pseudo-conans? Matrix, who had
> > ideas borrowed from everywhere and had no single one original idea?
> > Shakespeare himself, who borrowed ideas too?
>
> Ideas don't have to be original.  Expressions of ideas do have to be.
> Putting a "tech tree" in your game is fine.  Putting Civ II's tech tree
> in your game is not.  You can make a RPG about hacking up monsters with

So, if we just leave every tech tree except that compatible with CivII and
CivI, and leave all ruleset except that compatible with CivI and CivII
everything would be ok?

If i bought AD&D and i don't like the world but like the rules, so i will
play Warhammer with rules of AD&D with my friends, than we will get sued?
Alleluja! Sue then me and my friends please. We played RPG in Warhammer
world but with rules mixed from Vampire:the Masquerade, sometimes from
CP2000, we created own worlds with rules of Warhammer etc. Some of my
friends liked it and play with their friends. We
even wrote some of that mixed rules into paper (me maked copies &^>). They
(owners of copyrights for CP2000, wrhammer, AD&D etc)
should sue me. I bet they would loose in every court here in Poland.

To the freeciv: No copy of Civilisation or Civilisation was ported to
linux, freeBSD etc. So versions of freeciv for these systems do not take
a single cent from Microprose. We should only stop to support version
to Windows, right?

A.D.Danilecki "szopen"
--
Linux registered user nr 160460