Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] AD&D compatible nethack

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] AD&D compatible nethack
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:55:17 -0700

> > in your game is not.  You can make a RPG about hacking up monsters
with
> > swords and use dice rolling to implement it.  But you cannot lift
the
> > AD&D melee combat system with all its weapon tables verbatim, that's
> > TSR's intellectual property.  You can't be "compatible" with AD&D,
you
> > have to use your own different game rules.
>
> So next, you go to the nethack-lists and start telling them to stop
beeing
> ad&d-compatible?

Not my personal interest, but in principle, yeah.  Especially since
Baldur's Gate is AD&D compatible, so Interplay would have a vested
interest in sueing anyone who wanted to run nethack servers to do
essentially the same thing.  I don't know what the licensing
relationship between Interplay and Wizards Of The Coast is (who borg'd
TSR a while back), but I'm sure there must be one.  I think the
existence of the AD&D compatible nethacks is more a matter of being
unable or uninterested in swatting all the flies, than on the legal
grounds they stand on.

I'd say, make your own dang RPG rules!  It's not like AD&D rules are
necessary for anything other than tapping the wealth of the AD&D
franchise.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."