Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay

To: "freeciv" <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay
From: "Brandon Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:40:14 -0700

> So, if we just leave every tech tree except that compatible with CivII
and
> CivI, and leave all ruleset except that compatible with CivI and CivII
> everything would be ok?

It's a start.  I'd also suggest changing the name of the game just to
avoid Hasbro's predatory trademark behavior.  Also, they might
justifiably claim that "Freeciv" is a derivative work of Civ II, which
is a violation of their Civ II software license.  Calling the thing
"Freeciv" and mentioning Civ II anywhere in your documentation and
website strengthens their case considerably.  Especially, the mention of
Civ II "compatibility" goals.

Basically:
1) get rid of Civ compatible rulesets and tech trees
2) get rid of references to Civ in documentation and website
3) ditch the Freeciv name

Then you're totally in the clear.

Why not take the opportunity to call your newly-birthed game something
snappy?  Have a contest.  Then build up your brand equity with the new
title.  It can be Free Software brand equity, it's still brand equity
same as RedHat Linux is brand equity.  Champion your game development
causes from a legitimate legal position.  Enter the Independent Games
Festival with a straight face and a clean conscience.  Stick it to
Hasbro by actually making a better, different, original game.  None of
us developers really like Hasbro, we just don't want to see ourselves
ripped off someday.

> If i bought AD&D and i don't like the world but like the rules, so i
will
> play Warhammer with rules of AD&D with my friends, than we will get
sued?

I'm thinking not.  But if you published those rules as your own, yes you
would/could be.

> To the freeciv: No copy of Civilisation or Civilisation was ported to
> linux, freeBSD etc. So versions of freeciv for these systems do not
take
> a single cent from Microprose. We should only stop to support version
> to Windows, right?

Incorrect analysis.  They might use Linux and Windows and be playing the
game on Linux to avoid having to buy a copy on Windows.  Just because
you don't profit doesn't mean you aren't cutting out their profit.

Cheers,             Infernal Troublemaker                    Troll
Mallor              "By simple mistake, mortals themselves amuse."