Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: it's like a screenplay
From: Arkadiusz Danilecki <szopen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:34:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Brandon Van Every wrote:
[cut]
> You decide you like this play very very much so you take all the acts
> verbatim and do a production of "Chinese Hamlet" without securing any
> rights of performance from the playright.  Guess what?  If the
> playwright is on the ball, you get sued.  If you change a few lines of
> the play, it doesn't matter, you still get sued.

What are ,,verbatim copies''? Home video? If i made home video to show my
family such a smart guy I am i get sued? If i wrote by hand scenario? If
some my friend ask me to show him scenario because he likes it and want it
play too? What about parodies? What about pseudo-conans? Matrix, who had
ideas borrowed from everywhere and had no single one original idea?
Shakespeare himself, who borrowed ideas too?

> If you do it "just for fun" for a few friends, odds are nobody notices
> and nobody catches you.  If you Intercast the whole performance live on
> your website over and over again, and make MPEGs of the performances and
> distribute those on Free Software archive CDs, and it makes all the cool
> magazines, your bigtime infringement is bigtime noticed.  Even if you
> don't make a dime, you're cutting into the original playwright's ability
> to make a dime, and that's why they sue you.

This is wrong argumentation. If i go watch ,,X'' based on ,,Y'' that does
not mean i would go watch ,,Y'' and pay for it. Ok? For freeciv, it is
much more than Civilisation. I would say freeciv is more playable than
Civilisation, and even Civilisation II.

A.D.Danilecki "szopen"
ps : copyrighting thoughts.. ideas.. algorithms.. all the same.

--
Linux registered user nr 160460
Od władzy ludu wolę władzę ludzi