Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: July 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: software license violation

To: Brandon Van Every <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: software license violation
From: Tobias Brox <tobiasb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:08:32 +0200 (MET DST)

I feel a bit uncomfortable replying to the list, I think that we're
getting noisy now.  At the other hand, clearly this discussion is
interessting for quite a lot of the list.

> copyright law.  It says very clearly in the Civ II: TOT license
> agreement at the back of the game manual (...)

They can write whatever they like at the back of the game manual, still
their license can in no way be enforced unless it's in accordance with
national laws.

> I think all you Free Software pundits know how to read a GNU General
> Public License,

Actually there have been some discussing at news that there are
countries where the GPL doesn't apply.  I can't remember the details,
though.

> If the tables were
> turned and you were talking about someone abusing one of your Free
> Software products for profit, your understanding and response on the
> matter would be unambiguous.

Do you know any cases where this have happened?  I know FSF can afford to
hire lawyers if they need to, but have that ever happened?

I react a bit at your "profit" part.  I think that's completely besides
the point - free is not gratis in this context.  Anyone are free to make
profit from free software if they want to, that's quite common also, I
think.  A company like the one I'm employed in can at any time use parts
of Freeciv for making our own games, and even sell them in nice boxes in
the shops if we'd like to.  But if we do, we cannot (according to the GPL)
sue anyone for copying the product or making a derivative product.  Still,
it _is_ possible (and legal!) to earn money that way.

--
Spell checkers are for wimps
(please send feedback on all typos)