Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: help!

To: Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: help!
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:45:23 +0200

> The problem with installing things on Solaris systems is when they
> become difficult if the user doesn't have root.  I remember trying for
> a couple of days to install libXpm on this Solaris system without
> success, but with root access it'd be straightforward.

Well, when I was root on my Solaris system, I *still* didn't want to
install third-party software as root.  It's bad practice.

And, yes, the libXpm installation procedure assumes installation in
/usr/openwin, which is owned by root.  But it's not all that hard
to get around that.  My installation notes for libXpm:

Caveats:

  - make sure /usr/ucb/install is in your $PATH before /usr/bin/install,
    otherwise 'make install' will break with strange error messages

  - the destination you want to install to can be specified with $DESTDIR;
    however, installation will actually take place in $DESTDIR/$OPENWINDIR,
    so the additional $OPENWINDIR subdir must be stripped afterwards,
    changing the value of $OPENWINHOME doesn't work

The procedure: get the source from somewhere, untar it, cd into the
source directory, and issue

  % setenv MYXPMDEST /usr/local  # or wherever you want to install it
  % xmkmf; make Makefiles includes depend; make
  % setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:$PATH  # if you use a csh-like shell
  % make DESTDIR=$MYXPMDEST install
  % make DESTDIR=$MYXPMDEST install.man
  % cd $MYXPMDEST; mv ./$OPENWINHOME/* .; rm -rf ./$OPENWINHOME

You can now configure Freeciv with

  ./configure --with-xpm=$MYXPMDEST

this will add the proper -I/-L/-R options to the compile/link commands.

> I just mean that .xpm isn't a particularly difficult file format and
> that it could be done manually.

Ah, OK.  Well, providing a proper installation method for libXpm on the
few platforms on which it isn't present has my preference.

--
Reinier