Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: help!

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: help!
From: Kero van Gelder <kero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 17:22:20 +0200

> >I have to be honest and say I don't really have much of a clue about
> >Unix, but I used to be a past addict of civilisation, and would really,
> >really like to install Freeciv on my Unix HP-UX platfrom at University.
> >
> >I've downloaded the tar.gz file but when I try the command;
> >
> >gunzip -c file |tar xv
> >
> >It comes back with
> >
> >tar: cannot open /dev/rmt/0m
> >Broken pipe
> >
> >Does anyone have an idiots guide to installation?
>
> I'm very sorry, this is my fault.  I recently updated these instructions,
> and made a typo.  Thanks for reporting the problem.
>
> The command should be:
>
>   gunzip -c file |tar xvf -
>
> or, some newer tar programs can do it all for you:
>
>   tar zxvf file
>
> (actually, try this one first, it's easier).
>
> I'll change the web page immediately.

I installed FreeCiv on HP-UX 11 (at my work).

However, I had to remove the -O2 option from gcc (I hacked the
configure script for that). gcc 2.8.1, I believe.

The faulty optimisation is triggered by returning from the myrand()
function. I got a Bus Error (a typical HP-UX message, telling you
absolutely nothing). gdb told me the return statement crashed.

NB: I am fortunate partly: gdk was already installed by SysOp :-)

NB2: I installed ImLib, which refused to relocate im_palette.pal into
~/etc instead of /usr/local/etc. Work-around is writing the entire
file-name in ~/.imrc as an option.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------------------ http://huizen.dds.nl/~kero ---+