Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: June 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: help!

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: help!
From: Paul Dean <Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26 Jun 2000 10:06:32 +0100

Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Would it be worthwhile to publish a detailed 'libXpm installation on
> Solaris' on the Freeciv site?

The problem with installing things on Solaris systems is when they
become difficult if the user doesn't have root.  I remember trying for
a couple of days to install libXpm on this Solaris system without
success, but with root access it'd be straightforward.  I've never
configured configure though, so I don't know if it gets round such
problems.

>> In my (limited - so contradict me) experience of programming in X,
>> hardcoding an xpm handler wouldn't be so difficult.

> I'm not sure what you mean by that ...

I just mean that .xpm isn't a particularly difficult file format and
that it could be done manually.  Note: I'm not actually suggesting
this, because I don't know that many people have a problem with
libXpm, and it would take a non-trivial amount of time to do.

Paul.(Dogbert)
--
http://www.His-feet.co.uk/

"His cry not Forward, but Follow." - William Gurnall.