Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1999:
[Freeciv] Cultural domination (was: Wonders)

To: Freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Cultural domination (was: Wonders)
From: Lalo Martins <lalo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 1999 21:01:52 -0200

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 04:57:16PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

> CNN Wonder           - equivalent to having a diplomat in *every* city.
> MTV/Much Music Wonder  - increases trade to foreign cities
>                       (cultural imperialism) ... something with taxation?
> debt?

I have been dreaming of this kind of gaming for a long time.
Perhaps we can add some other stuff like Hollywood or Coca-Cola
or Disney.

My idea is basically adding a third way of winning the game
which consists on culturally obliterating the other players.
I'm not very sure how that could translate into game terms,
yet. But perhaps at some point in the game the dominated cities
start to spontaneously change sides to the dominating civ.

Perhaps this would mean each city keeping a score of how much
it's influenced by each civ. In the early stages, all would be
100% influenced by your civ and 0% by all others; but trade
routes, roads, and later mass communication start to change
that. Those wonders above and other stuff we may come up with
can then affect this cultural influcence balance. And there
probably would be some measures a ruler can take to preserve
national identity, but of course these measures would be
costly, so most would not take them (like in real word).

I don't know. I'm dreaming. But this sounds quite cool to have.
Perhaps a distinguishing feature to show off in 2.0 ;-)

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.