Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1999:
[Freeciv] Wonders

To: Freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Wonders
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 16:57:16 -0500

  I was home sick on Tuesday and decided that playing civilization was what I
needed to do. Not having my Amiga alive anymore, I decided to finally install
freeciv. (I then decided it was a good time to switch my NetBSD server from
a.out to -current with ELF, so now I'm waiting for X11 to recompile...)

  I did find a file that I was keeping back in 1994 when my roomate used to
stay up all night killing Civ. He found many bugs in Civ I, some of which are
fixed in Civ II, which I never did play. I thought I would share it.

  It my list of Wonders. Some have Canuck references. I'll explain:
     Much Music is Canada's answer to MTV. The non-national version
          (Toronto-only) actually predated MTV by 6 months or something.
     CNR = Canadian National Railway. A major undertaking through the
          Canadian Rockies. The southern transcontinental railways
          found some nice passes to help.
     Cod fishery = the east coast had to stop fishing and let the
         stocks rebuild. They haven't yet, but one can always hope.
     Hibernia is a Canadian government folly. $100 billion or something
              to build an off-shore oil drilling platform the size of
              small city that could withstand the northern atlantic in the
              wintertime. A major "make-work" project for Labrador/NFLD.
              It only "cost" $50K per person-year of work created. As soon
              as the price of oil goes back up to $40/barrel, it becomes
              profitable.

  I also found that Civ's concept of political systems to be terribly
disconnected from reality. Communism, for instance, should provide for
more happiness when it covers an entire continent. Until that point, units
not in the city should actually make people happy. Otherwise, "communism" is
being evaluated by the losers in that system only, while "capitalism" is being
evaluated
by the winners in that system only.

Sesame Street Wonder   - adds happiness to each city with size>10, reduces
crime by 1.
                       - requires TV, and Satellite comm.
             Otherwise, crime (i.e. corruption) should go *up* in democracy for
cities larger than 20.
Debt Wonder            - allows one to turn production into $$$
Chunnel Wonder/Tech    - railways under short channels (up to two sea-squares)
Fixed Link Wonder/Tech - railways over large channels (up to ten sea-squares)
Voyageur Wonder        - increases chances of space ship by 2x
Oil Embargo Wonder     - increases production 25%
Exxon Valdez/Cod fishery Wonder - decreases fish production by 1/2 for 10
turns,
                                followed by 10% increase/turn in fish production
Moon base wonder       - halves cost cost of space ship additions
Magna-Carta wonder (democracy? Produces happiness? Increases trade?)
Magelan wonder         - should actually be done by sailing around the world.
Christ wonder/tech     - should be a political system
                        - allow for holy crusades, happiness occurs for units
*out*
                        of city. Perhaps it should be named "Frontierism" --
older cities
                        can give their "growth" and some "unhappiness" to newer
ones near the edge
                        of the area under control. Military units on the
frontier *create* happiness as well.
CNN Wonder             - equivalent to having a diplomat in *every* city.
MTV/Much Music Wonder  - increases trade to foreign cities
                        (cultural imperialism) ... something with taxation?
debt?

CNR Wonder             - requires Corporation and Railroad
                       - links all cities on the continent it is built on with
                        railroad.
Hibernia Wonder        - allows exploitation of oil squares that no city can
reach.

Name your units.
What can you do with those fish not near land?

After Communism, the labour union might exist. This can cause strikes!
  But also increases happiness.

Squares should be smaller!
"Squares" should be hexagons.