Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: December 1999:
[Freeciv] New rules for little towns ?

To: Dan Sugalski <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] New rules for little towns ?
From: Nicolas BRUNEL <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:06:02 +0000 (GMT)

> >>    There are 2 things important :
> >>    - use a republic as soon as possible,
> >>    - spread as hell. Don't build big towns it's useless.
>
> There probably ought to be minimum city sizes for some of the wonders,
> improvements, and units, or at least a modifier on build time, with an
> additional modifier based on an improvement. Make battleships cost more
> when built by cities that are too small unless they've got port facilities,
> for example.

Sum up : new rules aren't necessary.

   IMHO, it's already implemented. A little city with a small shield
production will take ages to build a wonder. As the city is smaller, it
can be much more easily destroyed if it hasn't a city wall.
Usually, bigger cities are in the core of your kingdom. Smaller
ones are on the frontier. Personally, I don't take the risk to
build a wonder on the frontier. Concerning
military units, there is already an upkeep cost. City with a large
population can support large armies and lots of settlers. Also under
republic and democraty, military units make people unhappy in towns.
Again, for these types of goverment, only large towns can support
a large number of cities.

sum up : a little example not directly related to the subject of the mail.

   Try to count how many settlers may have been build with the shield
necessary for buildings of a 13 size town.

   temple 40
   granary 60
   library 80
   colosseum 100
   aqueduct  120
   sewer system 100 ?

  at least 500 -> it's equivalent to at least 12 settlers !

I stop the bla bla
Bye,