Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11382) Data: Byzantine nation

To: nmav@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11382) Data: Byzantine nation
From: "Peter Lunicks" <plunicks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:02:05 -0700

> > I have only found fragments of information about this language
> > though. Mount Athos in northern Greece for example, known as "Agio
> > Oros" in Modern Greek but "Hagion Oros" in Medieval Greek.
> > Using this form of Greek would of course be ideal. :)
>
> The pronounciations of ancient and mediaval greek is pretty much
> unknown. For this reason I'd suggest to use the most close language for
> which is modern greek :)

Pronunciation doesn't really matter when we only need to spell the names.
Although a mention of "Hagion Oros" of Medieval Greek suggests that at this
time the language still not lost the initial rough breathing -- at least in
spelling (which is what concerns us here). This is quite a significant
change and it does not seem like using modern Greek would be sufficient. I
agree with DM that freeciv should use 'Medieval Greek'/'Byzantine Greek' as
much as possible for the Byzantine nation, and I also think that when
'Byzantine Greek' is not available, Koine would be a better substitute than
modern...