Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11382) Data: Byzantine nation

To: nmav@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11382) Data: Byzantine nation
From: "Daniel Markstedt" <markstedt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 09:17:23 -0700

This transaction appears to have no content
On 7/17/06, nmav@xxxxxxxxxx <nmav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > + "Sevastoupoli",             ; Sevastopol
> >
> > Hm, I always thought that Sevastopol was founded in the end of 18th
> > century... Or there was another Sevastopol?
> > (IIRC, there was a settlement Ahtiar (Krym's tatars) before at
> > place where Sevastopol was found, and Khersones before Ahtiar.)
>
> You are right. It seems the map I used was using the new name for the
> city.The right name at that time was Chersonesus (latin) or Chersonisos
> (greek).

Corrected in new patch.

> PS What about Bospor (Kerch), Sugdea (Sudak) and Feodosia?
> > (Of course there are mispellings - backtranscryption from cyrillic-)
>
> I didn't know these cities. The greek names would be Bosporos (or maybe
> Vosporos) Sougdeia, and Feodosia...
>
> regards,
> Nikos

Some research shows that the ancient Greek settlement near Kerch was known
as Pantikapaîon/Pantikapaío and Panticapaeum (Latin) - added as Pantikapaio
to the city list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panticapaeum

Sougdeia and Theodosia also added.

I belive this is ready to be committed now. Despite the controversy over the
form of Greek used, it is IMHO an improvement over the current version.

--Daniel