Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch

To: sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxx
Cc: evyscr@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15751) Original string bugs/typos, batch
From: "Sini Ruohomaa" <sini.ruohomaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 04:13:20 -0800

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 20:25 -0800, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> The translatable strings needs an overhaul, agreed. Especially since
> we're trying to "win back" lots of translators for abandoned l10ns. IMHO
> we should even concider removing a signficiant number of error strings
> as tranlatable, to 'ease' the work for returning translators. Error
> messages are seldom more helpful translated and may even make it harder
> for users to get assistance when they either have to re-translate to
> English or find a developer/advanced user who speaks their language.

Take care when removing them, and don't remove them just for the
translators' sake - it's easier to choose not to translate something
than to choose to translate something not marked translateable. If we
want pretty staistics it's of cousre a problem - but I doubt I would
recommend even moving the error messages to a file of their own for that
purpose. ;)

If the problem is something the savvy user can solve themselves, it
should be in their language. If it's something that requires developer
assistance, it should be in the developer's language OR there ought to
be an error log file to send to the developer which is in their
language. We are also influencing the terminology development of our
respective countries when we translate these funky things, so obscure
techno-babble actually isn't always completely useless to translate
either. But remember those translator comments! ;)

Thanks for all your help! I just got contacted by an interested to-be
translator so I'll probably be leaving the translation in peace this
weekend to let him have a go at it - but I'll send in another batch if
we run into things worth noting.

Have a nice weekend,

--Sini